Monday, December 10, 2007

Recent Movies and Rants

There have been a few recent movies that may be of some interest to gamers and fantasy lovers such as myself. Rather than waste two blog entries, I'll mention them both here:

The first is obviously Hitman based on the game from Eidos. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the game series but I do enjoy it. I definitely saw shades of the Hitman game while watching the movie and from time to time it sort of felt like I was watching someone play the game.

However, the plot moved along extremely quick without bothering to explain much of what was going on. On top of that, Hitman features some absolutely atrocious acting and even worse dialogue that will surely take you right out of the movie.

Overall, there are some cool action sequences and a few spots where the film makers seemed to capture the essence of Hitman, but in the end the movie was a stinker that left me un-impressed.

The next film, The Golden Compass, will appeal more to fantasy fans. I've never read the book that the film is based on, but I've heard pretty good things about it.

The film starts of pretty quickly and will probably leave you a bit confused. As it progresses, though, it becomes much more interesting and a few things start to make some sense. My biggest complaint with the movie is that it's a series so it ends with a cliffhanger that will leave you totally disappointed and eager for the next film.

The acting and characters are solid, the fantasy world displayed in the film is fascinating, and the story, while still shrouded in mystery, seems to be interesting. Fans of films such as The Chronicles of Narnia will want to go check this one out.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home